Monday, February 1, 2016

Venice in February... Again


I have no intention of giving up on my other challenge, which turns 4 today, mainly because Venice is still my favorite city in the world and I can't wait to rediscover it though fantastic literature. I have in mind quite a lot of books, but I will definitely read these two: "La Tempestad" written in 1997 by Juan Manuel de Prada, translated into Romanian a few years ago, and which seems to present a totally different image of the Venice we may know, and the long awaited "Venice Noir", a selection of 14 stories set in Venice, which range from the ones depicting tourists during Carnevale to criminals trying to elude the law.... These two tomes should be quite intriguing, to say the least!

Do join me this month in my quest for the mysterious Venice! 

4 comments:

Alle Deac said...

Can't wait to see Venice...! <3

Ally said...

You work really hard and then your dream will come true :)

Bellezza said...

I won't be able to join you in your Venice in February plan (sad face) as I'm buried (figuratively) in many other classics at the moment. But, I am so looking forward to your Romanian challenge! I've already bought a most intriguing book, Description of a Struggle: The Vintage Book of Contemporary Eastern European Writing edited by Michael March. It has a few short stories by the author you recommended, Mircea Cartarescu, but also works by Ana Blandiana and Geroge Cusnarencu and Stefan Agopian. Plus, authors from Slovakia, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary, etc. So looking forward to it!

Ally said...

M, you won't believe this, but on Monday Cartarescu will be in my town to launch his latest book and I am definitely going to see him :) He is amazing! Also, I met Ana Blandiana a few years ago and got her autograph, she writes beautiful poems. Glad you will be reading her, too!