Saturday, December 1, 2012

Soni - Six Word Sum Up


 Once every few months I come across a book written by a Romanian author which really, and I mean really amazes me. I wish this had been translated into English so maybe you could grasp the reason why I am so thrilled about Andrei Ruse's "Soni". The book was written in 2008 and in September 2012 the third edition appeared, with a few changes (for the better) in the story line, a better publishing house and even more publicity around it, moving from being a controversial book (due to its sex scenes and the use of drugs) to one meant to change your perspective on life.
"Soni" is a book about a 26 year old girl who finds out she has stomach cancer. Needless to say that she goes through all these stages of fear, rage and bad decisions in order to get to the "other side". Which other side? I won't spoil it for you so you'll have to read the book... but be prepared for everything good and bad in-between the covers.

"On our first day at school we should be told that we are going to die. Then, the alphabet."

Cancer Is Not the Final Frontier. 

Now back to "Dealer for a day" :)

2 comments:

Bellezza said...

I'm glad that this book struck you so deeply. As for me, I'm absolutely sworn off anything 'deep' or upsetting right now, as I need novels to elevate my mood.

Ally said...

it is one of those books that makes you take a looong look at your life and realize everything is just fine... maybe not perfect, but just fine, and there are plenty of people longing for "just fine" :)