Friday, January 29, 2010

No more Catcher in the Rye



J.D. Salinger died today at the age of 91. Having read all his works and also having fallen in love with Holden Caulfield, his (in)famous character, I am now looking forward to the only positive thing that might come out of this: for works that he tried so hard not to publish or share to be revealed to us. With the risk of committing a sacrilege and sounding voyeuristic, I am also dying to read his letters, in case they are to be released.

"Boy, when you're dead, they really fix you up. I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody."

More about Salinger and his literary life HERE.

No comments: